Release Notes for NorduGrid ARC 15.03 update 20
March 18, 2019
This is a bugfix release, mainly to address a problem causing job failures in certain circumstances.
In addition some build fixes are included related to openssl 1.1.1 and python,
new ARCHERY endpoint types are added to the endpoint retrieval plugin and monitor,
and a fix related to GLUE2 is included.
NorduGrid ARC 15.03 has received an update to:
- core, clients, CE, Infosys and gridftp - from version 5.4.3 to 5.4.4
- documents - from 2.0.20 to 2.0.21
Gangliarc, Nagios plugins and metapackages are unchanged.
The following issues were fixed:
ARC Server and core components
- An issue causing job failures due to permission errors was fixed.
The failures occured when the job description specified the whole current directory as output
(like outputfiles=("/" ""), "./", etc.), and the job was not run in the sessiondir,
but instead in the scratchdir (i.e. scratchdir is present in arc.conf).
- Fixed a bug that would prevent the publication of GLUE2 Shares
- Verbosity of some warnings that are of little interest to sysadmins are reduced
- revised ARCHERY record types added to ldap-monitor and ARC client
Since ARC 15.03 update 19, the following bugs were fixed or feature requests were
- 3793 arc5 svn trunk doesn't pass 'make check' python tests if configured with --disable-swig --disable-python
- 3796 When "/" is specified as source in outputfiles, and the job is run in the scratchdir, the job fails with permissions error
GGUS tickets addressed:
- There is a memory leak when using Java API for multiple job submission with
files to BES interface.
- The CPU time is not measured correctly for jobs that kill the parent
process, such as some agent-based/pilot (e.g., ALICE)
- JURA will not publish records to the APEL on a standard Debian/Ubuntu
system, because the python-dirq package is not available for them. The
workaround is to build this package from source.
- When using ARC client tools to submit jobs to CREAM, only JSDL can be used
to describe jobs, and the broker type must be set to Null in the client.conf
- ARC GUI (arcjobtool) is not available yet, pending implementation of client
- Standalone client tar-balls for Linux are not yet available.
- A-REX can under some circumstances lose connection with CEinfo.pl and go into an infinite loop. The only current workaround is to restart the a-rex service.
- twistd, the underlying engine for ACIX, sometimes logs into rotated ACIX log files.
While all log messages are correctly logged in the main log file, some rotated log
files may receive new log messages.
- submit-*-job do not have permission to write performance metrics to log.
- authorizedvo=<voname> will no longer create a list of VOs under each Share. As a consequence,
EMIES WS clients can no longer find a queue by VO name the same way as in previous versions
of ARC due to changes in the GLUE2 schema rendering.
ARC release 15.03u20 consists of the following source packages:
- NorduGrid ARC, version 5.4.4 (main components)
- NorduGrid ARC Documents version 2.0.21
- metapackages for client tools, computing element and information index, version 1.0.7
- Nagios probes for ARC CE, version 1.9.1
- gangliarc - ARC Computing Element monitoring in ganglia, version 1.0.2
- jura_to_es - Jura logs to ElasticSearch, version 1.0.0
Source code for main components is available from:
Documentation source (mostly LaTeX) is available from:
Source for metapackages is available from:
Source for Nagios probes is available from:
Source for gangliarc is available from:
Source for jura_to_es is available from:
See detailed description at
These repositories provide binary packages for:
- Debian: 7.0 to 9.0 (i386 and amd64)
- Fedora: from 12 to 29 (i386 and x86_64)
- CentOS: EL6 (i386 and x86_64) and EL7 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu: 12.04 to 18.10 (i386 and amd64)
Scientific Linux and RedHat are implicitly supported through corresponding CentOS repositories.
Details of previous releases can be found at the ARC Releases page