Release Notes for NorduGrid ARC 15.03 update 15
July 05, 2017
This is a bugfix release, addressing bugs discovered since release release 15.03u14
The most important fix in this release is the update of Nagios.
NorduGrid ARC 15.03 has received an update to:
- core, clients, CE, Infosys and gridftp - from version 5.3.1 to 5.3.2
- Nagios plugins - from 1.9.0 to 1.9.1
- documents - from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16
Gangliarc and metapackages are unchanged.
ARC Server and core components
The following issues were fixed or partially fixed in the ARC core:
- More getaddrinfo fixes to prevent arex crashes. (Bug 3655).
- Include enhancement to allow micro or millisecond timestamp for logs. Especially requested for Elasticsearch parsing. (Bug 3665).
- Fix to allow proper propagation of disk requirement from input job description to arex grami file (Bug 3666).
The following issues were fixed in Nagios plugins:
- Important fixes to the monitoring part of the nagios probes, which suffered severe issues when under heavy load.
Since ARC 15.03 update 14, the following bugs were fully or partially fixed:
- 3655 ARC 5.3.0 + memoryfixes (from nightlies 5.3. branch) gets stuck after a short while and needs to be killed.
- 3665 Increase time granularity in ARC logs to milliseconds.
- 3666 Disk space requirement is not propagated from job description.
- There is a memory leak when using Java API for multiple job submission with
files to BES interface.
- The CPU time is not measured correctly for jobs that kill the parent
process, such as some agent-based/pilot (e.g., ALICE)
- JURA will not publish records to the APEL on a standard Debian/Ubuntu
system, because the python-dirq package is not available for them. The
workaround is to build this package from source.
- When using ARC client tools to submit jobs to CREAM, only JSDL can be used
to describe jobs, and the broker type must be set to Null in the client.conf
- ARC GUI (arcjobtool) is not available yet, pending implementation of client
- Standalone client tar-balls for Linux are not yet available.
- A-REX can under some circumstances lose connection with CEinfo.pl and go into an infinite loop. The only current workaround is to restart the a-rex service.
- twistd, the underlying engine for ACIX, sometimes logs into rotated ACIX log files.
While all log messages are correctly logged in the main log file, some rotated log
files may receive new log messages.
- submit-*-job do not have permission to write performance metrics to log.
- authorizedvo=<voname> will no longer create a list of VOs under each Share. As a consequence,
EMIES WS clients can no longer find a queue by VO name the same way as in previous versions
of ARC due to changes in the GLUE2 schema rendering.
ARC release 15.03u15 consists of the following source packages:
- NorduGrid ARC, version 5.3.2 (main components)
- NorduGrid ARC Documents version 2.0.16
- metapackages for client tools, computing element and information index, version 1.0.7
- Nagios probes for ARC CE, version 1.9.1
- gangliarc - ARC Computing Element monitoring in ganglia, version 1.0.2
- jura_to_es - Jura logs to ElasticSearch, version 1.0.0
Source code for main components is available from:
Documentation source (mostly LaTeX) is available from:
Source for metapackages is available from:
Source for Nagios probes is available from:
Source for gangliarc is available from:
Source for jura_to_es is available from:
See detailed description at
These repositories provide binary packages for:
- Debian: 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0 (i386 and amd64)
- Fedora: from 12 to 25 (i386 and x86_64)
- CentOS: EL6 (i386 and x86_64) and EL7 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu: 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, 14.10, 15.04, 15.10, 16.04, 16.10 and 17.04 (i386 and amd64)
Scientific Linux and RedHat are implicitly supported through corresponding CentOS repositories.
Details of previous releases can be found at the ARC Releases page