Release Notes for NorduGrid ARC 15.03 update 14
May 30, 2017
This is a bugfix release, addressing bugs discovered since release release 15.03u13
which suffered from a memory leak causing frequent crashes.
In this release numerous fixes have been implemented in order to make ARC more reliable and stable.
- Many memory leaks and memory corruption cases have been eliminated.
- Effort has been made to improve a long-standing issue where ARC crashed or hung due to Glib process spawning.
- Likelihood of crashes and hangs due to file handle leaks should be reduced.
- Finally, the sqlitedelegation store code has been optimized for increased speed.
Note that as of ARC 5.3.0, incorrect treatment of namespace constraints is fixed,
resulting in rejection of certificates that do not comply with policies.
NorduGrid ARC 15.03 has received an update to:
- core, clients, CE, Infosys and gridftp - from version 5.3.0 to 5.3.1
- Nagios plugins - from 1.8.4 to 1.9.0
- documents - from 2.0.14 to 2.0.15
Gangliarc and metapackages are unchanged.
ARC Server and core components
The following issues were fixed or partially fixed in the ARC core:
- A partial solution for the missing detail level of EMI-ES submission interface's initial job status.
State is now reported as "processing-queued". That will delay reporting job execution start but should avoid
causing wrong impression of job starting, stopping and then starting again.(Bug 3640).
- One major and several minor memory leaks and memory corruption cases were removed. (Bug 3651).
The major memory leak resulted in ARC 5.3.0 crashing very frequently due to rapid increase of the consumed
anonymous memory. The most important memory leaks are now removed.
- Changed delegation locking implementation which caused slow EMI-ES job submission for large job descriptions. (Bug 3652).
- A long-standing issue with unreliable glib_spawn processes is fixed by replacing lib spawn process with pure fork.
This in addition fixes bugs 2905 and 3456.
- A long-standing issue with file handles leaks and improper use of file handles causing ARC to hang or crash is partially fixed. (Bug 3655).
- Various code cleanup and fixes.
The following issues were fixed in the ARC client:
- arctest -J 1 now works again after the shut down of ftp.nordugrid.org. (Bug 3654).
- Fixed problem that user input-files were truncated when submitting with the EMI-ES submission interface. (Bug 3659).
Most important changes:
- Move scheduled cleanup from `check_arcce_monitor` to `check_arcce_clean`.
As a consequence users may want to run `check_arcce_clean` at least once
per every hour.
- Keep better track of the work done by `check_arcce_monitor` and
`check_arcce_clean`. Try to bail out within a slotted time to avoid
unclean exits and spurious Nagios alerts. Instead report on the progress
and raise a warning or critical alerts if it seems like the probes are not
- Clean up jobs from the local ARC job file which cannot be queried and
which do not correspond to any active job.
- The operation of `check_arcce_monitor` can now be restricted to jobs for a
certain CE and/or those having been created with a certain `--job-tag`.
This should allow running one monitor service per CE and/or job type,
though it has not been tested under Nagios.
- Remove execute bit and shebang from `arcce_igtf.py`.
- In `check_archostcert` consider certs unusable 2 days before expiration.
- Various timeouts have been adjusted or added.
- Fix repeated renaming of output directories from `arcget`.
- Make random adjustments to rescheduled job times and process rescheduled
and monitoring work in random order.
- Remove deprecated `--use-jobs-xml` option from `check_arcce_clean` and
some other ancient stuff which nobody will notice.
- Avoid warning due to unparsed 12 hex-digit lines from `arcstat`.
- Various minor fixes.
Since ARC 15.03 update 13, the following bugs were fully or partially fixed:
- 2905 arex 2.0.1rc1 fails to change the job status from SUBMIT
- 3456 a-rex with glib version >2.32 uses inconsistent child control
- 3640 EMI-ES interface wrongly reports initial job status
- 3651 A-REX crashes or hangs every hour
- 3652 EMI-ES job submission is slow for large job descriptions
- 3655 ARC gets stuck after a short while and needs to be killed
- 3654 Source files for arctest -J 1 unavailable from ftp.nordugrid.org
- 3659 EMI-ES job submission LRMS error due to truncated executable
- There is a memory leak when using Java API for multiple job submission with
files to BES interface.
- The CPU time is not measured correctly for jobs that kill the parent
process, such as some agent-based/pilot (e.g., ALICE)
- JURA will not publish records to the APEL on a standard Debian/Ubuntu
system, because the python-dirq package is not available for them. The
workaround is to build this package from source.
- When using ARC client tools to submit jobs to CREAM, only JSDL can be used
to describe jobs, and the broker type must be set to Null in the client.conf
- ARC GUI (arcjobtool) is not available yet, pending implementation of client
- Standalone client tar-balls for Linux are not yet available.
- A-REX can under some circumstances lose connection with CEinfo.pl and go into an infinite loop. The only current workaround is to restart the a-rex service.
- twistd, the underlying engine for ACIX, sometimes logs into rotated ACIX log files.
While all log messages are correctly logged in the main log file, some rotated log
files may receive new log messages.
- submit-*-job do not have permission to write performance metrics to log.
- authorizedvo=<voname> will no longer create a list of VOs under each Share. As a consequence,
EMIES WS clients can no longer find a queue by VO name the same way as in previous versions
of ARC due to changes in the GLUE2 schema rendering.
ARC release 15.03u14 consists of the following source packages:
- NorduGrid ARC, version 5.3.1 (main components)
- NorduGrid ARC Documents version 2.0.15
- metapackages for client tools, computing element and information index, version 1.0.7
- Nagios probes for ARC CE, version 1.9.0
- gangliarc - ARC Computing Element monitoring in ganglia, version 1.0.2
- jura_to_es - Jura logs to ElasticSearch, version 1.0.0
Source code for main components is available from:
Documentation source (mostly LaTeX) is available from:
Source for metapackages is available from:
Source for Nagios probes is available from:
Source for gangliarc is available from:
Source for jura_to_es is available from:
See detailed description at
These repositories provide binary packages for:
- Debian: 7.0 and 8.0 (i386 and amd64)
- Fedora: from 12 to 25 (i386 and x86_64)
- CentOS: EL6 (i386 and x86_64) and EL7 (x86_64)
- Ubuntu: 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, 14.10, 15.04, 15.10, 16.04, 16.10 and 17.04 (i386 and amd64)
Scientific Linux and RedHat are implicitly supported through corresponding CentOS repositories.
Details of previous releases can be found at the ARC Releases page