ARC v13.02 Release Announcement
February 28, 2013
The Advanced Resource Connector (ARC) middleware, introduced by NorduGrid
(www.nordugrid.org), is an open source software solution enabling production
quality computational and data Grids since May 2002. The previous production
ARC release, version 12.05u1, was released on November 8, 2012.
Upgrade and deployment notes
Upgrade is straightforward when standard Linux repositories are used. A-REX and
GridFTPd will restart automatically, while infosystem services will need a
In order to enable new features in the ARC Compute Element, changes in the
arc.conf are needed, as described below.
For a first installation (from scratch), use of metapackages is recommended.
Please consult ARC server and client deployment documentation.
Known issues (e.g., APEL accounting on Debian) are described below.
Backwards incompatible changes
- ISIS, Janitor, Chelonia and Hopi are removed from the distribution
- libarcclient library is renamed to libarccompute
- libarcdata2 library is renamed to libarcdata
- ngconfigtest is renamed to arc-config-check, installs to libexec instead of
bin and is packaged with A-REX instead of common package. New "validate"
option is added to A-REX init script which calls arc-config-check.
- xrootd DMC is moved out of plugins-globus package and into a new package
- arcsrmping utiity is removed
- The Python utility module arcom is obsoleted
- ClientInterface classes are moved to new libarccommunication library.
- ExecutionTargetSet class is replaced with ExecutionTargetSorter for sorting
- Main attributes of the Job class are changed, also in the jobs.xml:
Cluster and the InterfaceName attributes are removed, JobID is changed
from URL to string, ServiceInformation, JobManagement and JobStatus URL
are added, as well as attributes InterfaceName, StageIn, StageOut and
- Support for per-user control directories in A-REX is removed, as well as
corresponding "control" option from arc.conf. Added support for
substitutions in configuration based on dynamically mapped local user.
- GridFactory back-end is removed
- RLS support is removed
- Perftest is renamed to arcperftest and man page is added.
- Some test and misc tools are moved to a new sub package
nordugrid-arc-misc-utils: arcwsrf, arcemiestest, arcperftest,
- GLUE2: all endpoints are now shown inside the A-REX org.nordugrid.arex
- EMI-ES rendering: one Endpoint per port-type including data capabilities
New features highlights
- EMI ES interface is implemented in ARC client tools
- Support for EMI ES interface version 1.16 is implemented in A-REX service
- Communications with ARGUS PEP and PDP are implemented and integrated into
- CAR 1.2 accounting messages can be sent to an APEL destination
- nordugridmap is updated to version 2.0
- ACIX (ARC Cache Index) is added to the distribution (RHEL>=5, Fedora>=7,
- New package nordugrid-arc-plugins-gfal is added, containing the GFAL DMC
and depending on gfal2 (RHEL/Fedora only)
- xRSL parser is extended to parse "countpernode" and "exclusiveexecution"
attributes used for expressing parallel setup requirements
- GLUE2 rendering is finalised, also in the EMI-ES context
- Introduced a relay backend in LDAP configuration for interoperability
with GLUE2 Top-BDII, and changed the top element of Glue1 schema to match
the needs of Glue1 Top-BDII. Now an ARC CE can directly be aggregated by
a Top-BDII if ARIS LDPA URL is configured correctly in GOCDB.
- Improved automatic slapd/BDII backend configuration. In particular,
BDII paths are automatically generated and can be removed from arc.conf.
Removing them from arc.conf during update is recommended, unless one knows
exactly how BDII configuration works.
ARC components: detailed new features
ARC components in release 13.02 are:
Most significant improvements in the ARC Core are:
- Handle out-of-band data at TCP layer.
- Watchdog implemented for arched container and used in A-REX. See
documentation for configuration options.
- Support for plugin priorities added.
- Add errno-like field to DataStatus class
- Cache service can run in same arched as A-REX with shared DTR instance
- Implement 3rd party transfer in data library (new method
DataPoint::Transfer3rdPaty()) and arccp (new option -3) using GFAL DMC
- HTTP implementation in data plugin enhanced to support redirection and
chunked transfers for all functions.
- Security plugin (Argus PDP Client) supports the contact with Argus PDP
server to achieve access control decision. Argus library dependency is
not required for this plugin.
- Change DataPoint API - Check() now takes a bool parameter to determine
whether metadata information should be obtained during permission check.
- Add DataPoint::Rename() for renaming files.
- Add ability to run DataDelivery service without the need for a host
certificate. See documentation for configuration details.
- Removed ability to set locale per LogDestination
- Transparently load native ARC JNI-C++ library when using ARC Java
bindings. Thus making it redundant to call 'System.loadLibrary("jarc")'.
- Splitting Python bindings into multiple modules
- List classes in ARC Java bindings now implements the Iterable Java
interface. That makes it possible to use list objects in Java foreach
statement. Adapting the listiterator classes in order to comply with the
Java Iterator interface which those classes.
- Adding support for storing job information in Berkeley DB. Only available
in the library (libarccompute) and language bindings, but not in the CLI.
Most significant improvements in the ARC Clients and SDK are:
- EMI ES interface is implemented in ARC client tools. See documentation
and man-pages for new interface names.
- arcproxy can support the contacting to VOMS server with RESTful interface.
See documentation and man pages for options.
- arcproxy supports proxy retrieval from myproxy server with VOMS AC included
- arcproxy supports proxy generation with VOMS AC included, when using
credential source from NSS DB
- arcproxy supports the detection of NSS DB from default location of
Firefox, Seamonkey and Thunderbird.
- Add NSS as a dependency. Currently used only by arcproxy
- Add arcrename command. See documentation and man-page for functionality
and possible options.
- Improved formatting of arcls -l by aligning columns
- Change recursion options for arccp and arcls. -r specifies infinite
recursion and -D is used for a specific level or recursion.
- arcsub adapted to use rebased submission functionality
- Extended arcsub to be able to submit directly to submission endpoints (no
resource discovery and matchmaking).
- Extending arctest to print DNs of installed CA-certificates.
- Add new PythonBroker, ACIXBroker.py, which uses ACIX to rank sites by
number of cached input files.
- Adding possibility to format the CE specific job state string
- Submitter class extended with capability of job submission relying on
resource discovery and brokering, previously part of arcsub
- Introducing new class ExecutionTargetSorter for sorting ExecutionTarget
objects. It is to replace the ExecutionTargetSet class which isn't working
- Significant fixes and cleanup in the CREAM job plugin.
- Added submitting convenience methods to Submitter class which only takes
endpoints and job descriptions as arguments.
- Extending xRSL parser to parse "countpernode" and "exclusiveexecution"
attributes used for expressing parallel setup requirements.
- Improved backwards compatibility when reading job list files (client side).
Job records from 1.x and 2.x is supported, 1.x and 2.x does not support the
format used in 3.x. Support for NOX job record format is dropped. As always
'arcsync' can be used to recover the job list.
ARC Compute Element
Most significant improvements in the ARC Compute Element are:
- SLURMmod.pm plugin with native ARC1 API is introduced
- Make arc-ur-logger use ARC python API to retrieve information in proxy
instead of relying on voms-proxy-info
- Communications with ARGUS PEP and PDP are implemented and integrated into
A-REX. See documentation for configuration options.
- nordugridmap is updated to version 2.0. See documentation for configuration
- Client files stage in performance enhanced by decreasing number of
reconnections during one submission cycle.
- Increase performance of client file staging to/from HTTPS interface
of A-REX service by turning off encryption.
- Administrator utility gm-jobs is extended to cancel and clean jobs, as
well as to provide information about delegated tokens and filter jobs by
identifier. See documentation and man-pages for new options.
- Support for per-user control directories in A-REX is removed. Added support
for substitutions in configuration based on dynamically mapped local user.
See documentation for changes in configuration options.
- Support for EMI ES interface version 1.16 implemented in A-REX service.
- Added GRAMI support for EMI-ES parallel specification
- A-REX default data staging mechanism is changed to DTR. The old system can
still be used by setting enable_dtr="no" in arc.conf.
- Added support for GLUE2 in SLURM infoprovider
- Added parallel support in the LoadLeveler back-end
- Removed GridFactory back-end
Several significant changes were made to the JURA accounting component, making
it compatible with the latest APEL version. Please see Known Issues below if
you are using a Debian/Ubuntu system.
- Use 2.0.0 version of SSM to the message sending.
- Parse the configured (optional) topic value from the server configuration.
- Fixed the published MachineName attribute by JURA
- Fixed the logger URL by the APEL destination
- Fixed the non-published VO attributes
- Send CAR 1.2 accounting messages to the APEL destination. See documentation
for configuration options.
- Set the non-standard compilation prefix by ssmsend location.
ARC Information System
Improvements in the information system concerned finalising the GLUE2 schema
publishing, integration with Top-BDII, and integration with EMIR:
- Improved bdii-update automatic configuration. BDII configuration commands
are no longer needed in the [infosys] configuration block.
- Finalized GLUE2 rendering:
- Removed ARIS service. All endpoints are now shown inside
the A-REX org.nordugrid.arex ComputingService. This makes the GLUE2
rendering backward incompatible with previous versions of ARC.
- Removed ComputingActivities from LDAP rendering. Can be enabled with
infosys_glue2_ldap_showactivities, a new option.
- Finalized EMI-ES rendering, one Endpoint per port-type
including data capabilities. This obsoletes the experimental 12.05
EMI-ES GLUE2 rendering and therefore makes this change backward
- added infosys_glue2_service_qualitylevel option for the sysadmin
to set manually GLUE2 QualityLevel, useful for operations within
- Implemented a solution for client to match GLUE2 Service ID even if
looking at data from nordugrid schema.
- Implemented a solution for the client to know which interface the
job was submitted both in GLUE2 and Nordugrid schema.
- Introduced a relay back-end in LDAP configuration for interoperability
with GLUE2 Top-BDII. Now an ARC CE can directly be aggregated by
a Top-BDII if ARIS LDAP URL is configured correctly in GOCDB.
- Changed the top element of Glue1 schema to match the needs of
- Added several fixes to Glue1 schema: localse, queue names.
- Added infosys support for openldap2.4 on SLX distributions
- Enabled GLUE2 schema rendering together with the old nordugrid schema
in the LDAP-monitor.
- Added new column in LDAP-monitor to the Queue table for GLUE2 rendering.
ARC gridftp server
No changes have been made to this component.
Nagios monitoring plugins evolved from release 1.3.9 to 1.5.0. Most significant
- Fix EL5 compatibility issues
- Add missing job name for check_arcce; don't report check
errors unless job was fetched.
- Adjust setup.py to use prefix-relative paths for scripts.
- Fix JSDL specification of runtime environment.
- Allow specifying RTEs in arcnagios.ini; may be important for SAM
- Package the IGTF CA certificates check script.
- Import check_arcservice probe
- Add --check-contact option to the ARIS probe.
- Improve configuration examples and comments and include them in the
- Fix two issues with "check_arcinfosys aris --compare-glue".
- Add a missing import to check_arcinfosys (thanks to pyflakes).
- Fix format args in warning for check_arcinfosys.
- Use alternate output paths to ply.yacc.yacc
- Add check_archostcert (checks host certificate via infosys).
- Add entry point to check_arcce to tidy jobs.xml after failed cleanup.
- Fixed a bug which manifests in the GLUE2 check when it attempt to report
that a primary key is not found, giving UNKNOWN instead of ERROR status.
- Add additional information to the Nagios output for arcproxy failure and
for the IGTF probe.
- Add --queue option to "check_arcce submit".
- Remove some confusing and redundant output.
Common authentication library CaNL++
- Improved unit tests coverage (almost complete)
- More complete implementation of the extension and attribute handling for
- CaNL++ is integrated into an ARC client utility
Since ARC 12.05 update 1, the following bugs were fully or partially fixed:
- 1983 Nagios, Munin plugins for HED services
- 2506 nordugridmap fails with libwww-perl 6.02
- 2581 GGUS-Ticket-ID: #73547 ARC ARIS Glue publishing not passing Nagios BDII test - Missing Service record
- 2597 Missing dependencies for arc-ur-logger
- 2648 Fix hardcoded paths to Glue schema location
- 2767 Misleading "CEInfo: WARNING: Failed to create ldif generator script for infosys" in infoprovider log even if LDAP is not running/not configured
- 2836 LSF backend as well as cluster.pl and qju.pl do no cope well with "-" values
- 2886 Publish MaxSlotsPerJob in LRMS backends
- 2904 SLURM.pm information collector does not export nodes_info for GLUE2
- 2929 GLUE2PolicyRule and nordugrid-cluster-acl differ when defining authorizedvo
- 2943 Discrepancy between jsdl-arc.xsd and actual parsing
- 2949 Introduce new arctest for primenumbers generation
- 2952 Requesting PythonBroker causes segfault
- 2968 Undocumented configuration parameters: Infosystem
- 2969 Undocumented configuration parameters: Information providers
- 2970 Undocumented configuration parameters: A-REX
- 2979 fork_job_limit has no effect on number of running jobs
- 2988 Back-end /bin/sh scripts should not contain bashism
- 2994 Data staging fails when submit a job to a EMI-ES endpoint
- 2995 unable to stat jobs when using 3.0.0rc1 arc client tools
- 2997 Can't download from LFC (old data staging)
- 3003 JURA does not report VO membership
- 3009 Publish GLUE2 MaxSlotsPerJob in SGE
- 3011 Publish GLUE2 MaxSlotsPerJob in Condor
- 3012 Publish GLUE2 MaxSlotsPerJob in DGBridge
- 3013 bdii-update crashes when user not root on Ubuntu 12.04
- 3014 set_count: command not found
- 3015 jobs.xml incompatibility between arc2.0 and 3.0
- 3017 Failed to download http input file after cache permission check
- 3018 make install creates invalid include directories
- 3020 ARCCE Job Submission probe crashes on SL6
- 3021 ARCInfosys Glue2 Schema check not working with local schema
- 3023 Unnamed arguments in Python code cannot be properly localized
- 3025 Cannot read from xrootd
- 3026 nordugrid-arc-compute-element : Depends: nordugrid-arc-arex but it is not going to be installed
- 3027 Use single channel for deleting multiple files on same host
- 3029 Job submission to LRMS failed with - syntax error in submit-pbs-job
- 3036 Failed to find valid session directory
- 3037 Undeclared namespace prefixes in A-REX XML
- 3039 arc-config-check tests on production configurations before release
- 3046 make uninstall does not remove .apd files
- 3050 configure.ac uses obsolete macros
- 3051 Can't use an undefined value as an ARRAY reference at /opt/arc/share/arc/ARC1ClusterInfo.pm line 570.
- 3054 Broker does not take min CPU time into account
- 3057 nordugrid-arc-bdii does not reset permissions on files
- 3063 Exiting subroutine via next at /usr/share/arc/ARC0ClusterInfo.pm line 398
- 3064 job is resumed in wrong state after plugin at PREPARING failed
- 3062 Error in PREUN scriptlet in rpm package n
- 3071 unable to start nordugrid-arc-slapd on a clean OS
- 3073 arcsub crashes when submitting a job using adl (witn 3.0.0rc3)
- 3077 Problems with gridftpd on ubuntu
- 3085 Grid manager log not found when JSDL is used to describe jobs
- 3088 SLURM partitions running information not correct
The package nordugrid-arc-aris has been split into two packages:
nordugrid-arc-aris and nordugrid-arc-ldap-infosys.
- To run a local information system (ARIS) requires nordugrid-arc-aris and
- To run an information index (EGIIS) requires nordugrid-arc-egiis and
Data Management Components (DMCs)
The Data Management Component (DMC) plugins provide support for various Grid
data access protocols. In previous versions of ARC there were two packages:
- nordugrid-arc-plugins-needed - for protocols file, http(s), arc, LDAP, SRM.
This has no external dependencies.
- nordugrid-arc-plugins-globus - Globus-related protocols: gsiftp, RLS, LFC,
xrootd. Depends on Globus and xrootd packages
In EMI-3 the corresponding packages are:
- nordugrid-arc-plugins-needed - for protocols file, http(s), arc, LDAP, SRM.
This has no external dependencies.
- nordugrid-arc-plugins-globus - Globus-related protocols: gsiftp, LFC.
Depends on Globus packages.
- nordugrid-arc-plugins-xrootd - xrootd protocol. Depends on xrootd packages.
- nordugrid-arc-plugins-gfal - Plugin to interact with gfal2 as part of EMI
datalib. Depends on core gfal2 packages. Protocol support within gfal2 is
provided by its own set of plugins which nordugrid-arc-plugins-gfal does
not depend on.
Note: RLS is no longer supported.
Common Authentication Library (CAnL++)
The ARC build depends on canl-c++ and a new package nordugrid-arc-arcproxyalt
has been released, containing a version of the arcproxy command line tool which
depends on CAnL++.
ARC Cache Index (ACIX)
ACIX is packaged along with the rest of ARC in new packages
- nordugrid-arc-acix-core - core components
- nordugrid-arc-acix-cache - cache info collector which runs alongside the CE
- nordugrid-arc-acix-index - service which indexes cache content from CEs
See the ARC CE system administrator manual for more information on ACIX.
A new package nordugrid-arc-misc-utils is available, containing various test and
other utilities. The following binary executables have been moved from the
nordugrid-arc-client package to this new package:
- perftest (renamed arcperftest)
In addition a new binary executable is available in this package:
The following packages are no longer distributed
The ARC information system init script grid-infosys has been split into
separate components. The scripts to run depend on which component of the
information system you are running:
- To start a local information system (ARIS):
- To start a information index server (EGIIS):
- If you are running both an ARIS and an EGIIS you should only start the
nordugrid-arc-slapd service once.
- To start the information registration process to other EGIIS services:
For full description of all arc.conf configuration see arc.conf.reference,
distributed with ARC packages.
- New options arguspdp_endpoint and arguspdp_profile for ARGUS integration
- New option watchdog for automatic service restart
- New sections [acix/cacheserver] and [acix/indexserver] for ACIX
- Option newdatastaging is deprecated. It has been renamed enable_dtr and is
"yes" by default
- Option control is no longer supported. controldir should be used instead
API changes from libraries version 2.0.1 to 3.0.0 are documented in NorduGrid Wiki
- JURA will not publish records to the APEL on a standard Debian/Ubuntu
system, because the python-dirq package is not available for them. The
workaround is to build this package from source.
- arcmigrate is currently non-functional
- Jobs submitted through EMI ES cannot be renewed or resumed
- When using ARC client tools to submit jobs to CREAM, only JSDL can be used
to describe jobs, and the broker type must be set to Null in the client.conf
- ARC GUI (arcjobtool) is not available yet, pending implementation of client
- Standalone client tar-balls for Linux are not yet available.
- Bug 2905 is solved using workaround. Source of problem is not yet
ARC release 13.02 consists of the following source packages:
- NorduGrid ARC, version 3.0.0 (main components)
- NorduGrid ARC Documents version 1.3.0
- metapackages for client tools, computing element and information index,
- Nagios probes for ARC CE, version 1.5.0
- Common authentication library caNl++, version 1.0.0
Source code for main components is available from:
Documentation source (mostly LaTeX) is available from:
Source for metapackages is available from:
Source for Nagios probes is available from:
Source for the common authentication library caNl++ is available from:
See detailed description at:
These repositories provide binary packages for:
- Debian: 4.0, 5.0 and 6.0 (i386 and amd64)
- Fedora: from 3 to 19 (i386 and x86_64)
- RedHat: EL4, EL5 and EL6 (i386 and x86_64)
- Ubuntu: 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04, 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12.04 and 12.10
(i386 and amd64)
Scientific Linux and CentOS are implicitly supported through corresponding
Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X versions are available from same repositories for
clients and some services.